Adult abuse can happen to anyone who is over 18.
However, adults may be at ‘greater risk’ of abuse and neglect:
- If they have a physical, mental, sensory, learning or cognitive illness or disability
- Linked to above – if they need assistance with everyday tasks
- If they rely on others for some kind of social care or health support
- If they are in receipt of care purchased or funded through: Personal budgets, Local Authorities and/or Health Services, By themselves
- If they are informal carers, family and friends who provide care on an unpaid basis
Where Does Abuse Occur?
Abuse can occur anywhere.
Hospitals and health services
In a carer’s home
In your own home (including online)
Supported living arrangements
Work, college or university
Don’t Ignore It. Report It!
If you suspect a neighbour, friend or family member is being neglected or abused, or you need help yourself:
Report it to the relevant Local Authority or Police.